What Baja Means to Me...

I would like to share with all of you, my wonderful & fantastic readers of Beam the Light Be the Change, more of my sentiments of my beautiful Baja California, Mexico.

I have been wanting to return to Baja for so long, for it had been at least seven years, I believe, since my last visit. That trip was to Cabo San Lucas, which sadly now, has become a hot tourist spot for United Statsians. In, my opinion, there is far too much craziness & hype there. Yet, there is a part of Cabo, if one is willing to adventure into, that still retains the essence of Mexico. Of course, there is also the unique beauty of Land's End & El Arco...

 
 






Here it is Sea of Cortez top pic, Pacific Ocean bottom...you boat out to this amazing beach with both waters on opposite sides...stunning!
 
This is the very end of the peninsula of Baja California and it also at this point, where the tranquil, soothing waters of the Sea of Cortez meet the strong & staunch waters of the Pacific Ocean. It is stunningly gorgeous.
 
I had literally been starving for the waters of the Sea of Cortez, for as I shared with you in my previous poem about Baja, there is something so very magical and so very healing in these waters. My body needed to be in the waters of the Sea of Cortez.
 
I knew I did not want to return to Cabo. I wanted to explore parts of Baja that I had never seen before, hence my trip there. It is truly difficult to find just the right word to describe Baja, save for magnificent.
 
The trip down began at San Ysidro, California, USA and then crossing the border at Tijuana
United States, after gates...MEXICO! :)
 
The moment one steps onto Mexican soil, well, at least for me, a major shift happens. Something ethereal occurs. It truly is a different land in so many wonderful ways. Even in Tijuana, which always gets a bad rap...it is still amazing Mexico.
 
Once in Tijuana our bus journey down the peninsula commenced.
 Travelling down Baja is a long journey, but it is so amazing...
 
There is only one major carretera down...highway. It traverses for many, many miles along the Pacific which is beyond beautiful. Miles & miles of unspoiled coastline. One does see occasionally, the big development projects, mainly for people from the United States that are an eye sore to the natural beauty that Baja shouts out...
 
 
To be continued...soon I promise...;)
Time to rest this broken leg. Thank you so much for being so patient with me...I hope to finish this piece tonight. Until then...Paz y amor! Maria

I have returned...;)

One thing that is so unique about this land of Baja is that the desert meets right up with the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Cortez...and desert is what lies in between as well as forests. I was hoping to make it up to the forests, just right out of Ensanada, after the bus/camping trip, but as I will get to later, I had to return early due to the breaking of my leg.

Our first night of camping was on the Pacific. It was actually a bit chilly, but immensely fantastic. I had the perfect spot with my tent. Looking out on one side I could see the wide open beauty of the Pacific Ocean and on the other the grandiose amazement of the Baja Desert. What a great treat for my eyes and my entire being.

There were very few people save for some fishermen. This is where the phenomenal simplicity of the people of Baja was first witnessed by me. The boats were quite simple, no motors. They looked like large carved out canoes. These men were so incredibly friendly and helpful. In and out they went until sunset into the waters diving for lobster. We were quite fortunate to purchase eight lobster for 20.00 US dollars! Lobster fresh right from the ocean and fisherman...delicious.

These men also started their days very early for I could see their headlights coming to the boats before sunrise. Hardworking with such grace and all without complaint, simply content to live their existence, despite the hardworking and oftentimes treacherous conditions of the sea.

After our breakfast, much to my sadness, back on the road we were. We traveled for several hours before making our way straight into the desert. At first the desert was somewhat sparse, yet the further we went central, the more richness and plentifulness of many varieties of shrubs and cacti...we even encountered oasises! My phone, which I use to take pictures had died by now, so I do not have any of my own to share. So silly me, did not even think of bringing a back up camera! It was here at a stop where I had my fall. So by the time we arrived at the Cave Paintings and Pyramids, I was unable to get out to see them.

I am going to attach a link for you for further reading if you desire to learn more of the indigenous peoples of Central Baja.
http://www.houstonculture.org/mexico/baja.html
Being born and living in California all of my life, we were never taught in school about these amazing peoples. I am only discovering them now since I have been down there. I am learning alongside with you.


Since we were so far down into Baja and it appeared that my injury was cartilage and ligament related (I have had four left knee surgeries due to sports injuries) we continued our journey on down and headed to a doctor. Oh, but that night we spent in the desert, if I could only explain to you in words the incredible beauty and especially as night fell and a million stars shined and the Milky Way seemed endless, stunning!



 
The following day we were on our way to Bahia de Los Angeles...Bay of the Angels on the Sea of Cortez...
 
Well, as it is getting late now here in CA, and I need to heal up, I shall stop here. I am not finished as of yet. I have so much more to share...La Bahia, the fresh fish, the amazing people, the hot house tomatoes (be thankful for those out-of-season tomatoes you get, please) The hardworking people of Baja make those possible. I also want to share with you my journey back to California with my injured leg and the wonderfulness and plentiful of kindness I received from the people of Baja to get me home. Until then...all be well, take good care, and I am sending you much PAZ Y AMOR...
 
Maria :)
 
I have returned to wrap this piece up...hopefully. :)
 
After leaving the desert of Central Baja we headed for Bahia de Los Angeles on the Sea of Cortez. What I can tell you about this place is very difficult to describe. One truly needs to be there to fully experience the glories.
The water, the scenery, the tranquilness are so very soothing to the heart, the soul, the mind, the body.
 
Thankfully, Alfredo, who is the keeper of the particular camping grounds we were at, was able to get me crutches. With the crutches I was able to get myself to the water and once in the water...I was free! I could float, I could swim, I could close my eyes and meditate, I could cry, I could smile, I could simply be.
This was my heaven. Despite the injury, this was my heaven. The waters that I had been craving for so long...I was finally immersed within. :)
 
I was unable to go out to swim with the whale sharks, yet I gained so much more. Alfredo and I befriended one another. I must say that he is an amazing man. He was born and raised in Mexico City. He lived in the United States and had his children there. He has traveled the world extensively. He is very well educated and he has chosen a very simple life. He only plans to remain at La Bahia for another year or so and then return to Mainland Mexico and live in the Yucatan.
 
He was the most gracious of friend and host. He cooked for me everyday and mostly the fresh fish. He was more than willing to be of a help and for this I am forever grateful to him. His dwelling is very simple and he is very content. He let me sleep in a hammock each night which was a stone's throw away from the magnanimous sea. With the rocking of the hammock and the sounds of the gentle waves...sleep was the best I ever had.
 
How I descried Alfredo is a very good description for the people of Baja that I encountered, content to live a very simple life. We take so much for granted with our electricity and running water. Many people of Baja do not have the luxury of either. People either go to a well or purchase their water. It is simply their way of life. I find something very special about this. I shall give you one personal example.
 
I took a shower one evening (well I showered daily, but at one time in the evening) Alfredo had two bathing stalls for the camp grounds. At night, he lit two small candles in each bathing stall. It was the most romantic and intimate bathing experience of my life. I mean this in the sense of the sheer beauty of the flickering of the candle light with the sound of the sea so very near and the simplicity of living. There was one bucket full of luke warm water in which to bathe and that was all that was needed. After spending a day at the sea & being full of salt & sand, this simple, yet lovely bath out of a bucket was truly amazing.
 
Well, I am going to do my best to wrap this up here. Now, after the four days of being on the Sea of Cortez, it was time to return back north. We stopped for the night in the pueblo of San Quintin on the Pacific side. I decided to stay in a hotel, The Old Mill, (which I highly recommend) for the night and figure how I was going to get myself back across the border with luggage & an injured leg. Thankfully, the owner of the hotel contacted a fine gentleman named Tomas from the Department of Tourism. He made all of the arrangements. He picked me up at 4:30 am, took me to the bus station, spoke with the driver, and from there I went. All along the way, the people of Mexico were more than gracious and helpful. There isn't even the need to ask for help; the people simply give it. This is one reason why I love my people so.
 
I know I could have written so much more, but with this, what I now know, is a broken tibia, I must rest. Perhaps at a later date, I am sure I will write more about my wondrous Baja Mexico.


 
 
 
There are some places in this world that are so inexplicably majical and Baja California, Mexico is one of these places...

Maria Juarez Beam 



Be thankful for life each and everyday and know within your being that there are many people who live daily with the very basics and oft times difficult circumstances. I honor all of these people no matter what part of the globe in which they may live. Always be grateful and be kind and generous to those in need.

Until we meet once again.
Paz y amor,
Maria

Musical Selection: RBD "Tu Amor"

http://youtu.be/ZXa5FuGqJhM

Please enjoy more musica de Mexico. I chose this song because Mexico is Mi Amor...and the video takes place upon the ocean & it was a wondrous ocean experience that I was able to have...MY LOVE TO ALL...

I do still plan on working with orphanages in Mexico since I was unable with this trip. After I heal up, I plan to return, but this time to Mainland Mexico which is a whole different world than Baja. I am grateful to have had my time back in Baja. I need to head to the land of my ancestors in my next trip, yet, I shall save this for another story...:)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be not afraid I go before you always lyrics.

MAY THIS SONG GUIDE AND BLESS YOU. I LOVE IT, IT IS SO VERY BEAUTIFUL...